Sunday, March 28, 2010

Trip to Pohang


Cherry Blossoms
This weekend I headed down to Pohang to visit Fred. It ended up being a long trip down there as I seemed to miss each train or bus by a few minutes. I left straight from work at 6:20 and I got there at 1:15am. On Saturday, we headed to the grocery store and stopped at an outside market along the way. This gave Fred a chance to practice his Korean as we bartered over prices. We then headed to a park in Pohang and hiked around for a while. We saw a few cherry blossom trees however I think most will be in bloom in a week or so. We met up with some other teachers for dinner.

On Sunday we went to this cherry blossom festival. One of Fred's students fathers told him about it. We were the only non-Koreans at the festival and we sure stuck out. This man came up to us and asked us where we were from then told us to follow him. He took us to this food tent and brought us tons of Korean food and drinks. He then brought us to the stage and put us in the reserved section in the second row. We had no idea what was going on on stage so when there was a pause in the show we slipped out. Again, there were very few cherry blossoms in bloom. We then headed to the bus station for my ticket home. We had a few hours to wait so we headed downtown. We got a pizza for lunch and saw one of Fred's K-2 students (4 year olds), Gordon. He was at the table behind us with his parents and little sister. He was very excited to see Fred. He has only been learning English for a few weeks so his English was not very good. His parents surprised us a paid for our pizza! We then headed back to the bus station and I headed back to Suji.


The Cherry Blossom Festival


Korean candy and treats at the outdoor market

2 comments:

  1. Hello. I was just doing a google search for the location of the LCI kids club and I stumbled upon your blog. After having an interview with the school, I have been offered a job to teach english starting this July. I was wondering if we could write so I can hear about your experience and even get some advice on living and traveling in South Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Are you going to work at LCI Suji? My email in londonwetsch@msn.com

    ReplyDelete