Monday, July 20, 2009

Welcome to the LCI Kids Club

Hey everyone!

So I just finished my first day of school. The teachers are all really nice and very helpful. There are 12 of us, well 13 until Matt leaves on Wednesday, I am taking over his classes. It is split pretty evenly, 6 from the states (3 from MN) and 6 from Canada. Everyone was very friendly and made me feel welcomed.

In the morning, starting at 10 I watched Matt teach his kindergarden class. There are 5 boys and 4 girls. They are called in 6-1 class which means they are 6 years old and this is their first year of English. They are all very smart and more advanced then I had thought. That class went until 12:30 and then we had lunch. Many of the teachers and I, along with the school director and a few of the Korean staff went for lunch. We went to this pasta place right by the school. I loved it. That was the first large thing I had eaten since I arrived. From 1:30 until 2:20 we had kindergarden again.

Then in the afternoon I watched 3 different classes. The first was a grammer class for 8 year olds. The second was a social studies class. This class was so smart! They were reviewing for a test and had gone over material about Rosa Parks, the government (taxes, freedom of speech, ect) and capitals of many countries. I was shocked at how advanced they are. The last class was for 9 year olds who have only had 2 years of English. They were a little behind.

Tomorrow I am watching and observing new classes. In the afternoon on Tues and Thurs they have the older kids, about 4th grade. One of the teachers told me these kids are almost fluent. It should be interesting!

Fred arrives in Korea tonight and I am so excited. I spoke to a few of the Korean teachers and they said that P'ohang is really far but I am just happy to have someone going through this too. I am trying to arrange a way to go see him on Friday. The teachers said that I can take a train but would have to change a few times. I can also take the subway to Seoul then a bus straight there. The only thing is that it takes about 5 hrs from Seoul. I think I want to do this. I am nervous to have such a long trip on the trains by myself be my first experience. We will see!

I am suppose to get my phone on Wednesday so that will make life easier. I will then get phone cards so that I can call home. Also, on Wednesday I am moving into my apartment. Then I should be able to get Skype working. (If you dont have Skype get it! Its easy to download and takes only a few minutes. Then we can webcam talk for free!!)

3 of the other teachers are leaving in about a month and that is when the other MN girls will arrive.

Thats all for now.

Love London

2 comments:

  1. London, good luck navigating Korea's mass transit system for the first time! Of course you are nervous. That is what adds to the excitement. Plus, it wouldn't be the London we all know, love and miss if you weren't nervous. We would think someone had captured your blog. Love you!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember all the crazy long train rides we took in Germany. You will do great! And those kids sound way to smart, I don't think I even know all the capitals of different countries.

    ReplyDelete