Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A week full of craziness

This past Saturday we had our Festival event. All of the parents, along with endless other family members, came to watch our students in their end of the year production. I woke up that morning feeling so nervous for my students. We had been practicing for about 10 weeks and I wanted them to do well. It ended up going so smoothly! I arrived at the building where we were performing to be greeted by a few early students. Soon the others came and they were getting shuffled around by the Korean staff as they were putting on their costumes. My class was up second. First, we did our story called "The Magic Train Ride." Each student has a destination as they traveled along on the train. They each had on a costume that represented their destination. We went everywhere from outer space, to underwater to a land of cakes. They were a little confused about the microphones however they spoke loudly and very clearly. I felt so proud! After a fast costume change, we sang "Its a Small World." They has to wear these ridiculous flower costumes. They sang well and remember the whole dance! After, they sang two songs in Korean.

When the performances were over each teacher had to give a short speech on their class. It was very hard to sum up these past 7 months. As I was giving my speech it really hit me that I had to give up my class. I have grown to love these 10 wild and crazy 5 year olds and it is going to be so hard to see someone else teaching them! After the show, the parents were thrilled! They gave my 6 bouquets of flowers. They also gave me a book full of pictures and letters from my students. Each student wrote me a letter saying thank you for teaching them and telling me how much they love me and will miss me. Jenny wrote, "Hello! I am Jenny. I was happy you were my teacher but I am sad now. Why? We have to say goodbye. I will miss you. Be happy and healthy. I love you!" Lex wrote, "Hello Teacher. Thank you for teaching me. I shall never forget your kindness. I'm very very like you. Please remember me. A thousand thanks." I started to read it but I soon had to put it away so that I didn't cry right there on the spot! Jasmin's parents also gave me a great gift set full of lotion, facial cleanser and lip balm. They wrote me a letter saying, "We really appreciate your good instruction skill and warm love for Jasmin (and the other students.) Jasmin shows big jump in English ability. Everyday we have been surprised by her improvement. Thank you. Jasmin and ours will not forget your kindness as long as we live. London Teacher will be in Jasmins heart forever. Thank you very much." Each parent took tons of pictures and told me how much they enjoyed the show. My supervisor told me later that all of my parents told her how much they loved it!

This week has also been full of changes at LCI. 4 new teachers have arrived. They are observing classes this week before they start teaching next week. 2 are from MN, one is from Portland and 1 is from Arizona. We have also learned what classes we will be teaching for the new term, which starts on Monday. I have also learned that my classroom must change. As I said, my kinder class is changing. I am going to be teaching a 6-2 class which means that my kids will be 5 years old and in their 2nd year of English. They are currently at LCI so I know most of them. In the afternoons, 3 of my classes are changing and 2 are staying the same. I will no longer be teaching my newspaper class or my social studies class. They only book that I will be teaching is a reading book, at numerous levels. It will be interesting to get to know these new kids! One of the classes on Tuesday and Thursday is the highest level at LCI. I am very excited to teach them! I have also offically been asked to extend my contract. Lucy asked me today if I was interested in staying. She also asked if Fred would like to stay. We will see what happens!

It is very crazy to think that a new school year is beginning next week. I am excited to experience all of the changes at LCI however I am very sad to be saying goodbye to my Kinder students and 5 of my co-teachers. The next few weeks should be very interesting!

Daniel and Sean before "Magic Train Ride." All of my other students are in a line behind them.

Sarah and Jenny are ready to sing

Ready to sing

The head director, Lucy, and I


Pictures after the show
Lex, Samuel, me, Chelcy, Sean and Jasmin

No comments:

Post a Comment